Thursday, January 23, 2014

Through her eyes #3 - My Instrument, My Choice

Some time ago, I briefly mentioned that Dumpling has taken on a new instrument but I did not elaborate because frankly I have no idea how long she will stick with it and I am also not entirely sure if I have the tenacity and perseverance to continue to plow on with her.

Simply put, I have a 'love-hate' relationship with this instrument. I play a keyboard instrument and it was a shock to the system when Dumpling first attended the class and I realised how hard it was. I was totally lost and unprepared for the intensity of this small string instrument. As I was not sure how long Dumpling will stay with this (she chose the instrument, not me and she asked for lessons after hearing it) we picked a basic model for her very first violin.

She has since outgrown the earlier model and I was advised by her teacher to get a new one for her. And so, off to violin shopping we did over the weekend! 


The sale person brought down about 5 violins of her size (from various ranges) and played for her to hear so that she can make a choice. 

When he played it a second round, Dumpling was curious and asked "Shouldn't I be playing it? I need to hear it right? So I should be playing it to see which I like? Why are you playing for me? Can I have it please? I would like to try it on my own - to bow it, feel it, to hear it."

The. Salesperson. Was. Stumped. (And I was looking for a place to hide my face.)

Did I mention that my kid is just a tad over 5YO?

If you have enjoyed this post, please follow me on my Facebook Page where I share my parenting thoughts, food photos (be prepared for tons of them!), early shout outs for giveaways and interact with you, my readers! You can also follow me on Pinterest and Instagram

5 comments:

  1. We let our boy try. Haha. But mostly we decided for him. Just recently upsized to a 1/10th

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dumpling started with a 1/10 so she's upsized to a 1/8th. I do like the sound of this new piece but she's still getting used to the longer fingerboard - she needs to stretch her fingers a bit more

      Delete
    2. My boy started with a 1/32.But the violins before his current 1/10 are really cheap violins of S$90 each. ;D ... Yah, it'll take a little while to get used to the bigger violin.

      Delete
  2. Kudos to your little girl, she makes total sense! Hahaha~~~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maddie, thanks for popping by. The sale person was really nice; explained patiently to her that he usually plays it because a lot of the kiddos are not comfortable playing in public. And then promptly left her to do her thing :p

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Be warned: All content in this blog is copyright protected.

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected